4th ‘Onomastics Online’ Lecture on May 18, 2022
18 May 2022, 2:00 PM (UTC)
University of the West of England,
Introducing The Pragmatic Theory of Properhood (TPTP)
This lecture is a basic guide to the theory of names that I have been working on since about 2000, and exposed first in my article in Language 82 (2006).
It will be organized as follows:
- Defining key terms in semantics (for those wanting a short cut: I follow the usage of John Lyons with
regard to reference, denotation and sense); this is really important as some traditions use these key
- Why a “new” approach in name theory is needed
- Where TPTP differs from other approaches
- Addressing some misunderstandings of TPTP
- Some strengths of TPTP
- The ‘black hole’ in TPTP and being positive about it!
Link to the Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 634 5109 6454