The 2nd Ostrava Onomastic Meeting EVENT 2018
The 2nd Ostrava Onomastic Meeting EVENT on Place Names as a Mirror of Political Developments in Modern European Society 1848–2018
Dear friends of inter- and multidisciplinary approaches to place names,
The Department of Czech Language at the Faculty of Arts, University of Ostrava, the Historical Geography Research Centre, Prague, the Institute of the Czech Language at the Czech Academy of Sciences, Prague, the conference committee, and the local organizing committee have the honor of inviting you to take part in the 2nd Ostrava Onomastic Meeting Event (2. ostravské onomastické setkání; OOME), which will be held in Ostrava, Czech Republic, from April 23 to April 25, 2018; the conference language is English. The conference will take place in Ostrava, a city situated at the crossroads of three countries – Czechia, Slovakia and Poland. It will focus on place names against the background of political developments in modern European (predominantly Central European) society in the 1848–2018 period.
– Place names and the concepts of the political/linguistic/religious (etc.) landscape;
– Toponymy on state/national/language borders;
– Politics as a background of the development of place names;
– Place names in the discourse of the period – their reflection in fiction and art, their thematization, the influence of ideology, interpretation, new methods and approaches to place name research:
– Commemorative motives in place names – theoretical problems and discussions.
The deadline for submission of abstracts is November 30, 2017. You will be notified about the acceptance of your paper no later than January 5, 2018. All participants whose presentations are accepted must pay the early-bird fee (the payment must be received no later than February 28, 2018) in order to be included in the conference programme. We plan to publish a book containing papers that are accepted for the conference. The deadline for submitting the final versions of your texts is May 30, 2018.
For more information and registration form please click on the link below:
See You in Ostrava!!!
OOME 2018 Conference committee chair